Common Noun and Proper Noun – English Grammar Lesson by Ranjna Vedhera
SuccessCDs Education ( ) is an online channel focused on
providing education through Videos as per CBSE, ICSE and NCERT syllabi upto Class 12 (K-12) for
English, Hindi, Science, Social Science, Sanskrit and other subjects.
Also visit our Channel for Entrance Exams in India FAQs & Application Process, GK & Current Affairs,
Communication Skills and Self Improvement Videos
Our website ( ) is one of the leading portal on Entrance Exams and
Admissions in India.
“About this Video”
Noun is a word used as a name for a person, place or thing.
TYPES of NOUN
Common noun is a name commonly given to a person or thing of the same class or type.
1. Trees give us shade.
2. Boys are making the noise.
3. Girls a singing a song.
It is a special name given to a particular person, place or any living thing.
1. Sita was a dutiful wife.
2. John loves Mary.
More Examples: –
1. Mahatma Gandhi was a great leader.
2. Monika is a bright student.
NOTE: – Sometime a proper noun can also be used as a common noun.
3. Kalidas is the Shakespeare of India.
4. We need many Gandhis to curb violence in a society.
Exercise for Practice
Point out the type of Noun of the underlined words in the sentences given below:
1. Do you believe in ghosts? (Common)
2. We worship many gods. (Common)
3. Meera is a religious person. (Proper) (Common)
4. The Ramayana is a great epic. (Proper) (Common)
5. Pt. Nehru was the first prime minister of India. (Proper) (Proper)
6. Seema is the monitor of her class. (Proper) (Common)
7. M.F Hussain was a great painter. (Proper) (Common)
8. Steve wants to marry Alice. (Proper) (Proper)
Check out more Education Videos at
How to learn English online ?
Here’s how – Check out our English learning videos to learn english Grammar online. You can improve English online by going through our channel